Abhay Mathur // // No Comments

On Saturday, November 13th, CalSol members headed out to the station to work on the new car. Chassis team members were facing a problem with the bits that were used to notch the tubes. The bits were breaking after very little use. After some investigation we discovered that not enough coolant was used during the cutting process and we have implemented a new cooling system (consisting of a water bottle with some soap in it). This yields excellent results and so far we have been able to use just one bit for many cuts.

Many new members headed out to help Martin with some practice layups for the shell. Using molds that we made ourselves out of scrap extruded polystyrene foam, they were able to practice applying the Duratec Polyester Surfacing Primer and choose an appropriate spray gun. Two practice molds were sprayed and we are eagerly awaiting their results.

We have decided to use Rust-Oleum STOP RUST spray paint (Cobalt Blue) to coat our chassis. This paint not only looks really cool, but it will also help prevent rust build up on the chassis.

Pictures to come!

← Back to Blog

Comments are closed.